Wednesday, April 9, 2014

HOW DID WE GET SO LUCKY!

          We both have sat back and reflected a lot over the last three months on how did we get to be so lucky. When we started the journey to adoption I was really scared of the unknown. I constantly worried would or could I be the ideal "perfect person" for a woman or couple to choose us. What if they didn't like us? What if nobody liked us? What if we put are heart and soul into growing our family through adoption and then never to be chosen. Would they like are house? The neighborhood we lived in? What if we said something that offended them even though we never meant to. When you make the decision to have a child you don't think about the things that an adoptive couple constantly beats themselves up with. You think about whether or not you can afford a child and will your child be healthy. We consider these options too but its so much more complex. We beat ourselves up daily especially if we get a call from a woman that considered us and something makes it fall through. Then we beat ourselves up on what we could have done differently. We rely solely on someone loving us for US and nothing more. Choosing US because we are who we are. Maybe they chose us for superficial reasons and maybe they were lead to us because we share a tiny shred of common ground but its a circle of love that will never be broken for the rest of our lives. But we still rely on being chosen because we are simply who we are. We pray that someone will not judge us because of what we look like or some of the life experiences we have had and just love us for us. When in reality they are hoping the same thing. That we will not place judgment or chastise the decision they made to be so selfless. That we will love them so unconditionally to love their child and raise that child to understand the love that they truly did have for that child. Your relationship with a birth parent(s) does not end when they sign on the dotted line. It's just the beginning. The beginning of something oh so beautiful. It might not always be rosy and full of sunshine. Lines may be crossed that no one even realized were crossed but their is always a common ground that we all cherish and that is a strong relationship that we continue to build on so there is never any question as to the love that this sweet child will always be surrounded with. After waiting for so long to become a mom instead of your child being a burden she becomes a treasure.


          As adoptive parents you have to try to look over the infiltrated words that can escape from one persons mouth that has never experienced adoption. I never thought that I would have to explain myself or stand up for two selfless individuals to as many people that just don't get it. Even so that if you don't know me then you don't even get told that she is adopted. Words hurt. Adoption is a beautiful thing. It brought purpose and meaning to my life. It fulfilled my dream of being a mom to a little girl that is surrounded by so much love she will never know any differently. I cant wait to tell her the story of her life. The story of love and sacrifice her birth parents made to make sure she had a life that they had dreamed for her.   


         


          We reflect on the fact that those two selfless people could have never reached out to us and we would not have the angel we now call our daughter. We could still be on edge every time the phone rings or someone liked are Iheart adoption page. We could still be waiting and our lives would not have changed so much in the past three months. When the time came to meet the two people that would change our lives forever it came so easy. It was nothing like I expected and I guess you could say that when it feels right it is meant to be. Upon meeting for the first time we spent many hours just getting to know each other. There was none of the anxiety that I had for the whole time leading up to waiting on a contact. The baby and the pregnancy was brought up very seldom and we just got to know them as two loving individuals. We are so thankful our paths crossed. There greatest sorrow became our greatest joy.


  


            Life with Miss B. She couldn't be more perfect. I know everyone thinks their kid is the prettiest smartest and nothing could be more perfect but this couldn't be truer about Miss B. How in the world did we get so lucky. I feel like I hit the lottery everyday. When I see her slowly wake up in the morning and the smile that I get feels like Christmas morning everyday. When the sound of my heartbeat soothes her to sleep I fall in love all over again. Hearing her daddy read her princess stories with her cooing to him makes you wonder How did we get so lucky. Hearing you giggle when we tickle you or just cause we say something that you think is funny will make all that waiting worth it. I cant wait to watch you grow and see you reach milestones that we as your parents help you succeed at. I hate to think of the day that you will go out into the world on your own but I hope that I can help you be the best person you can be. I love you my peanut. Thank you for filling my heart with love I never thought existed. We were meant to cross each others paths and we are so lucky you were chosen to be our daughter.
       
         To the ones that have had their lives touched by adoption I'm sure you can relate to the ones that still wait trust me when I say YOUR child is worth the wait. To the selfless pro-life mothers and fathers out there that chose life for your child especially ours THANK YOU from the depths of my soul for choosing us.















No comments:

Post a Comment